As we prepare to head to Washington DC for the Worldwide Partners in Learning Global Forum, I thought it was the perfect time to kick-off this year’s 2012 Innovative Teachers Competition for Northern Ireland. Last year’s winners won their competition in Moscow, so they’re joining me to compete at the Worldwide event in November. This year’s winners will be competing in Lisbon, Portugal !! (details below). Don’t think-DO. Go for this fantastic opportunity to share, learn, collaborate and network with innovative educators from around the world.
European Innovative Educators Forum 2012
The Microsoft Partners in Learning European Innovative Educators Forum takes place annually with this year’s competition being held in Lisbon, Portugal in March 2012 (dates to be confirmed)
In Northern Ireland the 2012 Innovative Educators Forum Competition will be held in partnership with the Stranmillis University College, the Regional Training Unit (RTU), Classroom 2000 (C2k), UUJ and the Centre for Excellence in Leadership, Innovation and Learning (CELIL)
Are you using ICT in an innovative way to enhance teaching and learning?
Are you using technology in a way that is new and exciting for your school?
Do you have evidence that the work you do makes a difference with your students?
Special consideration given for projects focused on using 21st Century Skills to deliver:
· Student Community Collaboration
· Solving environmental issues (Global/Regional/Local)
· Student self directed learning
· Cross Border curriculum collaboration
Innovative Educators Prize
The winning Teacher submission will win:
· Round trip flights from Belfast/Dublin to Lisbon, Portugal
· 4 nights’ accommodation
· The opportunity to represent their school and Northern Ireland at the annual Partners in Learning European Innovative Educators Forum (IEF)
What is an innovation?
Teaching and learning is innovative if it is new and ground breaking in the context of the institution where it is being applied. What this means is that even if a school has only had computers for a short space of time, if teachers are doing something exciting with them, then they are being innovative. Other schools may have had technology for a long time, but their teachers are innovative if they continue to come up with new ways to enhance teaching and learning through the integration of ICT.
What is an innovative teacher?
• An innovative teacher is someone who teaches in a way that is new or ground-breaking at the school, while integrating ICT to support that teaching.
• An innovative teacher is someone who uses ICT in new or ground-breaking ways.
• An innovative teacher can demonstrate that teaching and learning has improved as a result of the approaches used.
How can teachers nominate themselves?
Firstly, you must register on the Partners in Learning website (http://www.partnersinlearningnetwork.com). Be sure to look for Globalin the country dropdown list!! Please fill in your Profile completely with a picture of yourself.
The judging panel will be made up from a select group of Microsoft, Stranmillis, QUB, RTU and C2k panellists. The finalist will be selected to attend the European Innovative Educators (IEF) Forum Awards in Lisbon, Portugal in March 2012 sponsored by Microsoft. Transportation and accommodation is included.
Northern Ireland winners at the European competition will automatically be invited to the Worldwide Innovative Education Forum in (TBD-but somewhere nice) November 2012!!!!
Attend the launch of this year’s Innovative Teachers Competition
· Where– Centre for Excellence in Leadership, Innovation and Learning (CELIL) on the campus of Stranmillis University College (Map)
· When – Monday the 3rd of October at 16:00-17:00 (open from 15:30)
· Who should attend– Head Teachers and individual Teachers using ICT to deliver their curriculum in an innovative way
· What will you see– past NI winners from Berlin and Moscow and a presentation on the rules and requirements for this year’s WE competition.
· How to book– just send Tom Jackson an email with the number of attendees
All entries must be received by December 2nd 2011.
Website with all details: www.tomatmicrosoft.com